The the more layers and colors, the better! Have you ever seen a gummy treat with more than one color? Two, three, or even four layers? What a work of art! In my opinion these are the best type of gummies. The more layers, the more flavors burst across your taste buds as you chomp down on a yummy gummy treat!
Achieving this multi-layer effect is actually quite simple. To start, you want to make sure you have a sufficient number of molds to spread out your batch into several layers. Be careful not to fill the mold completely. You only want to fill it about a couple of millimeters for your first flavor.
The secret to perfect layering is: You need to allow each layer to fully set before adding the next. You can speed up the process by putting your molds in the refrigerator or freezer after each layer.
As the first layer is cooling, it’s time to start cooking up your next flavor. Simply repeat this process several times to fill the molds, stacking the flavors layer by layer and allowing each one to cool. The thinner you make the layers, the more different colors can fit in each mold. In the end, when you finally pop out your treats, you will have an amazing, beautiful stack of rainbow-flavored goodness!
Main ingredient: creativity
You can do the color scheme of your favorite sports team…or cherry-lemon-lime-blackberry for a red-yellow-green-black Rastafarian motif…the possibilities are truly endless. One time I experimented by not allowing the first layer to cool completely as I poured the second layer. It created a trippy, drippy effect, almost like a tie-dyed gummy!
Experiment! Get inventive, and send us photos of the gummies you were able to create. You might even take it to the next level and artistically place specific colors in certain spots in the molds to really make a work of art. Check out this six-layer gummy Han Solo and R2D2, flanking a custom hand-painted Empire Strikes Back MagicalButter machine:
- ¾-1 cup/180-240 ml MagicalButter Tincture (to be reduced to MBO in step 4, below)
- 12 ounces/340 g (4 packages of 3 ounces/85g each) flavored gelatin of your choice
- 1 cup/240 ml fruit juice of your choice, chilled
- 2½ ounces/70 g (10 envelopes of ¼ ounce/7 g each) unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup/60 ml (for Step 2) plus 2 tablespoons/30 ml (for Step 5) honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml Tart & Sour or citric acid powder
- ½ tablespoon/7½ ml flavor extract
- In a large bowl, whisk all the gelatins and citric acid together.
- Separately, stir ¼ cup/60 ml honey or agave together with the chilled fruit juice; then, whisk it into the gelatin until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Set the gelatin mixture aside to soften, or “bloom”, while you reduce your tincture.
- In a large, non-stick sauté pan on low heat, reduce your tincture until almost all the alcohol has evaporated, creating concentrated MagicalButterOil (MBO). It should look like molasses.
- Add flavor extract, 2 tablespoons/30 ml of honey or agave, and swirl the pan in a circular motion until the MBO mix again resembles molasses; then add the gelatin mixture.
- Whisk the gelatin mix into the pan with the MBO mix, and begin to simmer the gummy cannfection over medium-low heat.
- Stir constantly for 7-10 minutes, or until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Using a large measuring cup with a pour spout, transfer the mixture into your molds, and refrigerate them for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove your Magical Gummies from the molds, serve, and enjoy! They’re so tasty and fun…you’ll barely be able to bear it!!
Magical Gummies must be kept refrigerated. In the freezer they will keep for up to a year, in the refrigerator up to 2 months.
Remember to share the fun of making layered Magical Gummies with your friends on social media!